20 November 2011

A life that sizzles and pops... #6-10

"I want a life that sizzles and pops and makes me laugh out loud. 
And I don’t want to get to the end, or to tomorrow, even, and realize that my life is a collection of meetings and pop cans and errands and receipts and dirty dishes. I want to eat cold tangerines, and sing out loud in the car with the windows open, and wear pink shoes, and stay up all night laughing, and paint my walls the exact colour of the sky right now. I want to sleep hard on clean white sheets, and throw parties, and eat ripe tomatoes, and read books so good they make me jump up and down."
-Shauna Niequist (writer) 


#6 
GO FOR MORE RUNS ALONG THE BEACH

I would like to think of myself as a runner...in the same way I would like to think of myself as being a supermodel...but we would just be fooling ourselves here. Till I saw this Nike ad, and I'll be damned if I'm not a runner!

I pretty much hate every second that my feet are pounding the pavement, I look all sweaty, everything is shaking and I'm probably the slowest person out there, but then I feel so amazing afterwards, that my brain tricks me into thinking that I actually enjoy it. Damn you endorphins! Recently I have started early morning runs and yes, I have to get up at 5:15am and yes, I realise this is slightly insane, but the early morning chill and quiet make for an excellent start to the day. Try it. It sucks...and then it doesn't.

Oh, but back to the beach. I for one take it for granted how lucky we are to have the ocean this close and accessible. So my mission is to take a mini road trip two weekends a month and run along the beach front, from Greenpoint, along the promenade and just enjoy the breath taking views, while imagining myself to be a runner :).

#7
STAY IN A BEDROOM WITH A FIREPLACE

There is just something about a room with a fireplace that says, “come inside, kick off your shoes and curl up with a snug blanket and a good book.” And who would not want to do exactly that?

Here in this cosy room just me and you
Oh cuddling and kissing making sweet love
Shooting star wishing and watch the sun come up
And then we’ll sleep all day
Meet in our dreams and live life our way
Drop it all off and we’ll fly away
Dip through the stars and wake up slowly
- Justin Nozuka

#8
MAKE A WISH ON A SHOOTING STAR


Maybe The Avett Brothers say it best (via youremymuse.tumblr.com):

Keep your clothes on- I’ve got all that I can take.
Teach me how to use the love that people say you make.
Stop your parents’ car- I just saw a shooting star.
We can wish upon it but we won’t share the wish we made.
But I can’t keep no secrets, I wish that you would always stay.
-Laundry Room

I have never seen a shooting star (I’ve had those, “there’s one...no wait...it’s the flashing light of a plane” moments), so maybe #8 should be to SEE a shooting star and THEN make a wish on it?

But oh, what to wish for...

One of my favourite blogs I like to follow, bippityboppityboo, had the following to say...and yes I have :).



Have you ever, like, seen somebody? And you knew that, if only that person *really* knew you … they would, well, they would of course dump the perfect model that they were with, and realize that YOU were the one that they wanted to, just, grow old with.




But then it is important to understand that making your dreams come true requires an effort from your side as well, but most importantly, you have to realise that dreaming in the daylight, with your eyes wide open, is as, if not more, important.

Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, 
and make it possible.
-T.E. Lawrence


So the best advice would probably be just to wish on everything...


#9 
HAVE A WHITE CHRISTMAS, DECORATE A REAL CHRISTMAS TREE, BUILD A SNOWMAN, MAKE SNOW ANGELS AND WIN A SNOW BALL FIGHT 

The words I love you
fall like snowflakes from your lips
and melt on my tongue. 
-Tyler Knott Gregson


Damn those American movies. I’m sure it will be cold, wet and uncomfortable...but oh so much fun. I want the real deal: a snowman with a carrot for a nose, make proper snow angels, get hit with a snowball (hopefully not in the face, I hear those things hurt like hell) and nail someone with my wicked right arm. 




And I do love Christmas, it’s my second favourite celebration after all things birthday related. There is just something magical about the tree and the lights, the family, the happiness, the blessing, the promise and the celebration. 

And a little something from the piece ‘Just Like’ from Tyler Knott Gregson 

Just like shoes need feet to fill them and those feet need socks to warm them and the warmth needs the cold to feel warm at all and the cold needs to see our breath to feel worthy and just like our breath needs our lungs to give it shape and those lungs need sighs to refill them and those sighs need eyes to inspire them and those eyes need glasses to protect their fragile and sunflowered color from the sunshine and the sunshine needs rain to make rainbows and those rainbows need cameras to immortalize them forever and just like those cameras need hands to push the shutter and lock tight its colors and those hands need to be held, soaking and shaking as they might be, I need you.


#10
RUN A HALF MARATHON 

I'm only up to 7 kilometres at the moment...21 kilometres may be a bit far fetched, but I'll get there eventually...I'm sure...I think...I hope...?

Keep you posted.
Rachel
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment