18 November 2011

The wait is over... #1-5

So the time has finally come for me to start posting my list...the adventure is about to begin...


#1
LEARN TO PLAY THE CELLO

Music (noun)
1. The art or science of combining vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.
2. The vocal or instrumental sound produced this way.

Music...beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion...well, that pretty much covers it. There are very few people, probably with the exception of Jake, that can fully understand the impact that music has on my life. Music is there for me as soon as I open my eyes in the morning, I'm surrounded by it the whole day (yes, I am THAT person that always wears earphones while I'm working) and it can cheer me up in an instant or take me back to a specific memory in a flash and there is power in that.

Do yourself a favour and take a look at the Closer to the Edge music video from 30 Seconds To Mars. They have snippets of people talking and these are two of my favourite quotes from the video:

"Some people believe in God, I believe in music. You know, some people pray, I turn up the radio."
"Music is everything."

PS I saw them live when they were in South Africa. Three words...A-MAZE-ING. This is one band that sounds even better live than on their CDs.

So now that I have tried to explain to you a little of my obsession with all things music related, I think learning to play the cello (my favourite instrument), will be an extension of my love for music. This instrument is soulful, not as girly as a violin and can create hauntingly beautiful sounds. I am also working on the "what I'm listening and dancing to at the moment" section (once I've figured out how to post this separate list thingie...this blogging thing is harder than you might think), so I can share all the music that I love and the newest music I find, because after all, sharing is caring.

#2
SEE THE GOO GOO DOLLS LIVE IN  CONCERT

As with many a great song, think Angel by Sarah McLachlan and Uninvited by Alanis Morissette, I was introduced to the song Iris from The Goo Goo Dolls by watching the movie City of Angels (epic film of course...Seth...). What I might be listening to or liking at the moment might change, but Iris will always be my favourite song. I came across this video, posted on Twitter. They are performing Iris...live...IN THE POURING RAIN...you can thank me later :).

#3
SEND MY PARENTS ON AN OVERSEAS TRIP

We all wish we could do something special for our parents as somewhat of a "repayment" or "thank you" for raising us and helping to mould us into the people we are today. So of course I wish I could give them a trip like this (they have always wanted to go to Israel)...they are celebrating their 32nd wedding anniversary soon, so maybe if I start saving up, they could spend one of the next anniversaries holding hands (yes, they still do that) in a foreign country...now wouldn't that be sweet!

#4
WRITE A NOVEL

Anybody that knows me, has seen the house where I grew up (my parents raised me to be a reader, thank heavens for that), my bedroom or even my purse (yes, I carry them around with me, you just never know when you will have a minute to read), knows of my obsession with books...reading them, collecting them, devouring them, browsing for them...My name is Rachel and I am a bibliophile. I have been an addict for more than 20 years...and I don't intend to stop using any time soon!

"Books are a hardbound drug with no danger of an overdose. 
I am a happy victim of books."- Karl Lagerfeld

I have always thought of myself as somewhat of a writer (delusional much?), and what would be the ultimate thing to write...a novel of course. I haven't really figured out any of the pesky little details like the plot and characters yet (minor details, I tell you), but I would love to write something I can call my own and see on a bookshelf, crack open and inhale that exquisite "new book" smell.

I have a couple of favourite fiction writers (I'll share some of them a bit later), but I came across this one writer, Tyler Knott Gregson, a guy with the ability to pretty much put down on paper what we all are feeling, but do not always have the ability to verbalise. The following paragraph is an excerpt from one of the pieces he wrote, called 'Just Like'. I'll share the rest of the piece along the way, but just for now, know that everything he writes is beautiful.

- Just Like -
Just like the pen so desperately needs to bleed all over
the paper when pausing too long on the edges of a letter
and just like the paper so intensely needs to remember its
time as a tree and that tree needs to feel it’s longest
branches bouncing with the weight of a curious squirrel
and that squirrel needs to find just one more acorn before
the snow finds her and just like that snow needs to fall and
feel itself being rolled and squished into the head of a snowman
and that snowman needs a carrot for a nose and that carrot
needs a peeler in capable hands and those hands need to be
held, dry as they might be, I need you.

#5
BUY A NEW CAR


This is probably on the wishlist of pretty much every person I know. But here's the difference, I don't want the most expensive or flashy car out there, it doesn't even have to be red or sporty, just a new one.

So here are the first couple of things I am planning on doing with the rest of my life. There are many more to follow...a 113 to be exact :). I am not sure how to explain how excited I am about this journey, I just want to post the whole list, get it over and done with so I can start crossing off items on the list...one by one...

I think Mary Oliver said it best...
"Tell me, what it is that you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Keep you posted.
Rachel
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment